- 12 whole cloves
- 2 nutmegs, cracked into pieces with a hammer
- 2 bottles (each 750ml) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Stripped zest from 2 oranges and 2 lemons, plus more zest for garnish
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Tie the cloves and nutmeg pieces in a small square of cheesecloth, or put them in a large metal tea ball.
In a large nonaluminum pot, combine the wine, sugar, orange and lemon zests, orange and lemon juices, and cinnamon sticks. Add the clove-and-nutmeg bundle. Heat over medium-low heat until steam begins to rise from the pot and the mixture is hot, about 10 minutes; do not let it boil. Remove the clove-and-nutmeg bundle. Keep the wine warm over very low heat until ready to serve.
Ladle the wine into cups or heatproof glasses, garnish with the citrus zest and serve warm. Serves 8 to 10.
*Note: Try Williams-Sonoma Mulling Spices to make things a little simpler.