Mad Men returns tonight for its sixth season. I only started watching the show last season, and I was hooked after the first episode I watched. The show is engaging and reaches back to a period of mystery and style.
I love the clothes and the office setting of the show the most. I think of that period as classy and elegant, the hair and attention to style is admirable. The flashy house dresses with the busy and bright prints, the fitted pencil skirts and silk blouses, the chunky and matte costume jewels, and the phenomenal hairstyles.
This season looks like there won’t be any disappointment with the style and drama based on the new pre-season photo shoot.
I don’t think the drama storyline will disappoint either. Tonight we will find out the future of Don and Megan. What’s Joan going to do with her new ‘power’. What will be Peggy’s next move without the Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Price firm. Also, what’s that lingering effect of the first Mrs. Draper is having on Don.
If you’re having a viewing party, try some of these cocktail or menu recipes.
The traditional dirty martini:
2½ oz gin
1½ oz dry vermouth
½ oz olive juice
3-4 green olives stuffed with blue cheese
Add dry vermouth to the martini glass, rinse, and pour out. Pour gin, olive juice and ice into mixing glass and shake until chilled. Strain in the martini glass and drop the 3 to 4 olives as garnish.
Or a simple whiskey sour:
2 oz whiskey
½ oz fresh lemon juice
½ oz tsp sugar
½ lemon slice
Put all ingredients in mixing glass and add ice cubes. Strain into highball glass. Add lemon slice and cherry to garnish.
Also, here are some basics that you should have on hand:
- plenty of ice for drinks (plan on about 11 pounds of ice for every 10 guests)
- cups for beverages (plan on at least 4 per person)
- chilled beer
- lots of cocktail napkins & hors d’oeuvres plates
- cocktail bitters
- a cocktail shaker, jigger, strainer & ice bucket
- soda, tonic water & non-alcoholic drinks
- cranberry, orange, pineapple & grapefruit juices
- grenadine syrup & lime cordial
- orange, melon & crème de menthe liqueurs
- limes, lemons & oranges for garnish
- dark & light rums
- jars of cocktail olives & cherries
- gin, vodka, bourbon, scotch & brandy
- coffee & tea
- red wine & chilled white/sparkling wines
- chips & dip or salted nuts
For food items, here are some recipes to try:
- tuna salad-filled cherry tomatoes
- deviled eggs
- the period-classic pimento cheese spread on Ritz crackers
Whatever you choose to celebrate the premiere with, enjoy all the show’s liveliness and drama. Happy viewing!
The two-hour season premiere starts at 9p.m. EST on AMC!